Religion, Money and Politics. The three things I was once told not to discuss at work. Oh and Motorcycles. Obviously.

Saturday 17 July 2010

Crafts and Wordsworth and Latin and Things

Crafts are something which I love doing. Scrapbooking is a favourite of mine. I have whole photo albums dedicated to my Bikes with all the embellishments and all sorts in them too. I actually bought an extra Nurburgring sticker when we went out there especially to put in the album with the piccies when we got back... But I do do all sorts of other crafts aswell. Handmade cards, thats a good one. It's a passion, it really is. I don't know why, but when I look at the new products when they come out they're just so inspiring and beautiful. There's something really exciting about seeing the new ranges, getting a few bits and crafting with them. My other passion is my home. I've always said it, "No matter how small, an Englishman's Home is always his Castle" So very true. My home is filled with Beautiful handmade bits and bobs. My kitchen has a lovely fireplace, but when I got the place it was boarded up. So it's opened out now and has some lovely brown vintagey tiles. But I've left one board, because I don't want to actually have a fire. I've now got a lovely Murel painted on to it. It's a blue background with a stylised scene of yellow flowers. Daffodils to be precise. "Along the Lake, Beneath the trees, ten thousand dancing in the breeze" (That would be the favourite Wordsworth Poem) I've sort of painted the lake and added clouds at the top of the scene. In the middle though, I've got "Carpe Diem" painted in calligraphic script. Now, this little phrase is a favourite of mine.

Carpe Diem Quam Minime Credula Postero - Seize the Day trusting as little as possible to the future


Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't mean Seize the Day and 'sod the future'. The poem is by Horace, wiki it here. And when you read the whole thing, you glean a rather different interpretation. Or at least I did anyway. It's more of a 'Seize the Day and trust not in the future or in fate, trust only in the future you create.' (little bit of rhyme for you there!) Make your own future and trust in it, don't leave life to chance. And that's the little message I love. Very inspirational.

Anyway, I leave you with a picture of one of my creations, Elizabeta. Or Elisabeth-Marie. I couldn't make my mind up, so she has two names!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, anyone can comment!