Religion, Money and Politics. The three things I was once told not to discuss at work. Oh and Motorcycles. Obviously.

Thursday 3 March 2011

The Human Soul

What's it made of? And does it even exist?

I'm going to put forward a few theories here, and I'd welcome people's comments on this one. I can't say I have a definite opinion myself, more of a rough idea which is open to change. I'd say yes, it does exist and as for what it's made of, strawberry milkshake maybe? Take that to mean I haven't the foggiest! But I do reckon science may well answer that question one day. Take oxygen for example. It's completely invisible to the naked eye, yet we know it's all around us, and we know what it is. But years ago, we didn't even know it existed.

Theory 1
Maybe the soul is made up of something which we don't have the equipment to detect at the moment? If this is the case, I would like to put forward the suggestion that these new particles (or whatever they turned out to be) are named Soulite Kawasakiums. Scientists, please take note!

Theory 2
The soul is a concept. It is the end result of a series of chemical reactions in the brain which make up a persons individuality. I think therefore I am and all that. Maybe "soul" is quite simply another word for "intelligent consciousness".

Theory 3
As Dr Franknfurter so eloquently puts it, maybe the soul is "that elusive spark of life!" Maybe without one, we could not live. Maybe the soul is quite simply life itself. And maybe life itself is a part of those chemical reactions in the brain which allow us to feel emotion, maybe residing in that huge chunk of the brain which we still don't fully understand

Theory 4
Maybe the soul just isn't? It doesn't exist. But then again, if it is a concept, it can exist without needing to exist physically. An idea can exist without being drawn on a bit of paper. But can that idea live on alone once there is no one to think it?


Now hows that for some weighty questions at silly o' clock in the morning? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, anyone can comment!